I’ve invested in precious metals for more than a decade and have worked with several precious metals companies along the way.
I’m not the only one interested in these assets either. Gold, silver, and other precious metals have long been staples in many retirement portfolios. These assets have been used throughout history as a solid store of value, even when economic and market conditions are concerning.
That brings us to Augusta Precious Metals. You may have heard of them in online ads featuring hall of fame quarterback Joe Montana and Augusta’s free gold IRA guide. You may have even joined the hall of famer in a web conference to learn about how a Gold IRA fits well into your retirement investment strategy.
But companies often pay thought leaders to promote their businesses, and it’s never a good idea to make an investment decision based on a celebrity endorsement. The question you should be asking is, “How does Augusta Precious Metals really stack up?”
Augusta Precious Metals is a precious metals dealer that focuses specifically on retirement investments through precious metals IRAs. The company was founded in 2012 and has risen to become a premier precious metals retirement firm that generates millions in annual revenue.
Augusta Precious Metals isn’t the only company in the gold IRA game. One of the company’s biggest competitors is Goldco Precious Metals. Here’s how the two compare:
|Augusta Precious Metals||Goldco Precious Metals|
|Available Metals||Gold and silver||Gold, silver, platinum, and palladium|
|Lifetime Support for All Customers||Yes||No|
|Better Business Bureau & Business Consumer Alliance Complaints||None||BBB: 15 in the last three yearsBCA: 1 in the last three years
Note: All complaints have been closed
|Educational Materials||In-depth articles, e-books, and webinars||Limited information on the basics of investing in precious metals|
Augusta Precious Metals has grown to be a premier precious metals retirement firm in a matter of about a decade. That’s one heck of a feat, and it doesn’t happen without the company offering at least one thing that sets it apart from the pack. Augusta has three:
- Personalized Service. Your retirement savings isn’t just a small “let’s see what happens” kind of investment. It’s the foundation that will allow you to live comfortably throughout your golden years. Augusta Precious Metals takes that seriously and provides all customers with highly personalized customer service.
- Core Focus on Education. Sales is the core focus of most precious metals firms, but Augusta is different. The company clearly knows that if it focuses on educating investors, sales will come. Augusta offers a wide range of educational materials, including a comprehensive guide to precious metals IRAs that it updates at least once annually.
- Lifetime Customer Support. If you’re an Augusta Precious Metals customer once, you’re their customer for life, and that’s how they treat you. You’ll get lifetime customer support regardless of how much or how frequently you buy from them.
As mentioned above there are plenty of reasons to consider investing with Augusta Precious Metals. The company wouldn’t have grown to be what it is today without them. Some of the biggest advantages to working with Augusta Precious Metals include:
- Personalized Service and Lifetime Support. Augusta Precious Metals takes your retirement dollars seriously. So seriously in fact, that they cater to each and every customer like family and provide customer support that lasts for life.
- Competitive Pricing. The company doesn’t make its pricing available on its website, but after calling the company, I found its pricing to be competitive. Although it’s not the lowest pricing you’ll find, it’s in line with the leaders in the precious metals IRA industry.
- In-Depth Educational Materials. Most precious metals companies offer some kind of education, but few offer education at the level Augusta Precious Metals does. The company’s core goal seems to be to educate its customers on their options and allow them to make educated decisions about their retirement rather than using hard sales tactics to get them to invest $50,000 right now.
There’s no questioning the fact that Augusta Precious Metals is a great silver and gold company, but there are a few things about the company that I didn’t feel were quite up to par. Some of the biggest disadvantages to working with the company include:
- High Minimum Investment. You have to invest a minimum of $50,000 to get started with the company. Although that might be easy if you have a 401(k) to roll over, for the vast majority of people, $50,000 is quite a bit of money. It would be nice to see the company adopt a more reasonable minimum investment that makes its services accessible to the masses. In the meantime, it’s a great “red carpet” service for those who have saved the minimum.
- You Have to Be a Customer to Get Quality Customer Support. If you’re not a customer, Augusta Precious Metals’ customer support team seems more interested in closing the sale than giving you unbiased information about its products. I found this out the hard way when I contacted customer support online for information to use in this review — I had to escalate to a more senior employee to get what I needed.
Whether you want to invest in gold coins or you have a particular silver coin that caught your eye, it’s worth giving Augusta some consideration. If you do, you’ll enjoy the following key features.
Popular Bullion Options
Although there are thousands of different coins and bullion styles to choose from, there are a few that have forged their way to becoming the most common. Coins like the American Gold Eagle and Canadian Maple Leaf are held in IRAs and other investment accounts around the world.
If that’s what you’re looking for, Augusta has the precious metals products to scratch your itch; but that’s not all they have.
They also have a long line of premium coins in both silver and gold. These include coins like the 2022 Helena Gold Sovereign, the 2015 Canadian Polar Bear and Cub, and the Gold American Eagle, sealed in proof condition.
No matter what type of bullion you buy from the company, you can rest assured they sell many coins that meet IRS fineness standards. That means you can hold many of the company’s products in your retirement account.
There’s more to adding precious metals to your retirement portfolio than picking a few coins, throwing them in a vault, and seeing how they do. As with any investment, the most successful gold and silver IRA investments are those that are made on a solid foundation reinforced by quality education.
Augusta Precious Metals isn’t just interested in selling you retirement assets. They’re interested in teaching you about those assets, the economy and inflation, and how to avoid some of the gimmicks and high pressure tactics used by other companies in this industry.
Don’t worry, you won’t be climbing a learning curve the size of Mount Everest. In fact, the company’s educational materials take a streamlined approach to education. It has invested plenty of time and money into doing so. Its educational series is even led by Devlyn Steele, a Harvard-trained economic analyst.
So, whether you’re learning about the pros and cons of rollovers or how to assess the precious metals market, you can rest assured that you’re learning from a team led by one of the brightest minds in the industry.
Investing is all about making your money work for you. That’s difficult if you buy assets for high prices. You won’t have to worry about that difficulty when you work with Augusta.
Although the company’s pricing isn’t as transparent as I’d like it to be on the website, you can get detailed price information if you call. Their pricing is in line with market leaders, whether you’re looking for gold or silver bullion or special coins.
Personal Assistance Through the Entire Process
Setting up and managing an IRA is often a confusing process, but not when you work with Augusta Precious Metals. The company walks you through everything from filling out the forms to sharing the most common gold and silver products to meet your unique needs. Augusta actually works with you to take care of most of the IRA processing, taking a lot of the work off of your hands.
There’s even an Order Desk with dedicated representatives whose sole responsibility is to find you the best precious metals for your portfolio at the best prices any time you call. So, not only do you get personalized assistance, but you also have the peace of mind in knowing the company’s working on your behalf to give you the best deals.
Storage and Custodian
Because IRAs are tax-advantaged investments, there are strict regulatory standards they must meet. IRA gold, silver, and other metals must be stored in a non-bank, non-government storage facility. You’ll also need a custodian to help manage your IRA for you.
Augusta makes these requirements easy to meet.
The company works with the Delaware Depository for storage, one of the most popular options thanks to highly secure precious metals storage facilities and low storage fees. The company also works with Equity Trust for custodial services, yet another leader offering reasonable management fees. So, you won’t have to go digging for a custodian that you can trust with reasonable annual fees. That leg work’s already been done for you.
After a thorough review, it’s clear that Augusta Precious Metals is indeed a legitimate service. All you have to do to see that is take a look at the company’s ratings across various leading review websites:
To go a step further, Isaac Nuriani is the outspoken founder, owner, and CEO of the company. Hehas publicly stated his personal mission to empower the public to diversify their retirement savings through precious metals products and a strict commitment to ethics and professionalism.
Although most of the company’s business happens over the phone, its website is also highly secure, featuring bank-level encryption.
All told, Augusta is a great company that’s well worth your consideration.
Alternatives to Consider
There are plenty of gold IRA companies. So, if Augusta Precious Metals isn’t your cup of tea, don’t worry. Consider one of its competitors below:
|Product Service||Best for|
|JM Bullion||Best for smaller accounts|
|Birch Gold Group||Best for quality customer support|
|Patriot Gold Group||Best for dealer-direct purchases|
|Goldco Precious Metals||Best for IRA rollovers|
If you’re looking for a precious metals company to diversify your IRA investment, Augusta Precious Metals is a top pick. The company’s focus on education and long-term dedication to its customers make it stand out above the rest.
However, you should never blindly make an investment. Before you add precious metals to your retirement portfolio, do your research and carefully consider the pros and cons. If you’re still unsure whether precious metals are the way to go in your unique situation, consider reaching out to a financial advisor for help.